Re: SPEC: reichenbachii

From: "Ian E. & Shirley Efford" <avocet.intl@sympatico.ca>

For once, I would agree with Koehlein.  I. reichenbachii growns very
well here without any lime, mulch, or tender loving care.  I have two
different types of plants, one small - less than 6 inches - with a more
brown/yellow flower and one large - 9-12 inches - with a pure clear
clear-pale "yellow" flower.  I find the second one very beautiful and

The first one does drop all its leaves at the end of summer but
apparently only in a dry spot.  In a normal moisture area half the
leaves are still on the plant despite the fact that the temperature is
below freezing.  These leaves are between two and three inches long at
this moment.  The other half of the leaves are brown and dead [and
should be removed!].  It appears as if the plants should be moved every
three years.  I have lost one clump which just faded away.  The larger
one does not drop its leaves.  Half of these leaves are also dead and
the leaf length is 9 inches.

I have grown this species in about four locations in the garden and it
seems to do well in all of them.  Our soil is almost neutral and I do
not use fertilizers, mulch or lime under normal circumstances.  I am,
however, a fanatic composter!

Our zone is 4B on the US scale although recently the winters have been
milder.  We are prepared to experience temperatures down to -35C if we
have a cold winter so that reichebachii is hardy as is most of the human

Ian, in Ottawa