Re: SPEC:CULT: Iris reichenbachii

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 11/12/99 9:43:16 AM Eastern Standard Time,
avocet.intl@sympatico.ca writes:

<<  For once, I would agree with Koehlein.  I. reichenbachii growns very
 well here without any lime, mulch, or tender loving care.  I have two
 different types of plants, one small - less than 6 inches - with a more
 brown/yellow flower and one large - 9-12 inches - with a pure clear
 clear-pale "yellow" flower.  I find the second one very beautiful and
 "peaceful". >>

I did some research for for Christy since I really did not know much about
this species and it is always interesting to see what folks over the years
have said about an Iris species as a garden plant. In the early days of iris
mania, by which I mean the decades around the turn of the century, there was
an enormous amount of interest in new species that were being retrieved from
the wild and the earlier literature often shows the imperfecct but developing
knowledge about their cultural requirements. Very exotic stuff like susiana
was in the mass market catalogs, and people would try to grow anything. One
of the things people discussed a great deal at one time was lime in relation
to "rot," type of rot unspecified. There was theory at one time that too much
lime contributed to it.

I always wonder about those species which people say need frequent division
because of their incredible vigor. Some of those are going to show increased
vigor because of having been brought into cultivation, but some surely are as
rampant in the wild. What agency keeps them thinned down in their natural
habitat? Maybe one such agency is a benevolent rot, or is this idea too
teleological? Or maybe the rot one encounters is simply the rapid turnover of
rhizomes in a quickly moving plant with the old ones breaking down, and not
an alien destructive rot at all..........

I know what you mean about "peaceful" Ian. I get that feeling from my Iris
cristata.

Anner Whitehead
HIPSource@aol.com