Re: CULT: Companion Plants--Sempervivums?

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>

> From: HIPSource@aol.com
>
> I've got infant sempervivums of several kinds dripping off the edges of
their
> pots and something must be done with the little wretches soonest ere they

> freeze.

Anner,

Are you sure that your cheres enfants are in such imminent peril? I
non-chalantly leave my sempervivums clambering out of the confinement of
their pots unclothed to the winter winds - which I expect have a sharper
bite here than in your locale - without ill effect. One must assume, after
all, that their name was not chosen at random.

I am relieved, however, at the responses that your inquiry has elicited as
I replanted some SDBs (including that ever-so-shy shrinking violet,
CHANTED, to mix botanical metaphors) close to an established in ground
planting of sempervivums this summer. They have not intermingled as yet,
but when they do, I can now sleep more soundly - and in my waking moments I
shall be looking forward to your forthcoming ROOTS articles.

jcwalters@bridgernet.com

"The woods decay, the woods decay and fall,
 The vapors weep their burthen to the ground,
 Man comes and tills the field and lies beneath,
 And after many a summer dies the swan."