Re: CULT: planting seeds

From: Randy Squires <randysiris@juno.com>

On Sun, 7 Nov 1999  Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com> writes:

   I started planting iris seeds today.  This summer I harvested seeds
from about 75 pods, and I managed to get about 1/3 of them planted today.

  When do the rest of you folks start planting?

Hi Dennis,
I started planting my TB iris seeds the same day as you. I soak them in
3 days prior to planting, they swell up and it washes some of the outer
coating off.
Then plant in 5 gal. pots (takes a lot of soil) If theres 12 or less
seeds they go into
1 gal. size. I use plastic knives ($6.00 for 500 at Costco) and a Sharpie
they fade after a while, so I have to keep an eye on them. I use a
numbering system
because some of the crosses are pretty involved. Next they are covered
with chicken
wire since the squirrels are busy planting nuts everywhere and they just
love this
soft soil. I keep then damp, will see a few sprouts in 6 weeks but most
will show
in 8-12 weeks. By spring they will be 4-6 inches tall. I'm trying to set
aside space
to line them out in April.

Region 15 Southern California.
PS I'm really interested in your Thornbird crosses.