Re: REF: Symposium Ballot

From: Gerry Snyder <gcsnyd@loop.com>

Donald Eaves wrote:

> From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
>
> Hello Folks,
>
> Received the AIS Bulletin today.  Tucked in the envelope is the
> 2000 Symposium ballot.  No place for write-ins either.  Are they
> allowed?

No. The AIS board had voted some time ago to do away with write-ins,
since none had ever made it into the top 100. When Farron Campbell took
over, he went by the Judges Handbook, which had not been updated, and
included write-ins. The latest ballot follows the current/proper rules.

>  I'm naturally suspicious of this sort of thing so someone
> needs to remind me of the merit/purpose of compiling the list.

Just a popularity contest.

> Have any plans progressed to include irises other than TBs?

Several of the AIS sections have their own symposia. This one will stay
TB.

> As I recall, there were some good arguments put on this list for
> completing and mailing the ballot and when I get more time I plan
> to search in the archives and try to locate them.  In the meantime,
> I'd be interested in the pros and cons.  One pro is the sheer fun of
> reading the results and recognizing cultivars growing.

Works for me.

>  But it also
> makes me feel that my cultivation methods must fall very short
> sometimes when a very poor grower in my yard consistently makes
> the list.

Those things could just need different climate to be great.

BTW, I intend to submit an article to the Bulletin on variations from
region to region in the voting, in the next issue after the total
results.

Gerry
--
mailto:gcsnyd@loop.com