AIS: Bulletin Landings/Symposium

From: Irisborer@aol.com

Thank you to all the folks who have taken the time to let me know that
they've received their Bulletins - and especially those who added some
comments.  Bulk mail being what it is, it's interesting to see how copies
fall across the US (and the world - any arrived outside the States yet?), and
it helps Terry Aitken to plan strategy for his next assault.

And yes.... the cover says "October" and it's November already.  Anyone who
has tried to do anything of this magnitude knows that the only thing you can
count on is that something will go wrong.  In the service they call it SNAFU
- and I'm sure I don't have to let you know what that stands for.  Anyway -
this episode of SNAFU concerns our noble post office who shuddered at the
sight of the symposium stuffer - without the accompanying legend "loose
material included" or something like that.  Anyway - they pondered this rule
for 8 days before they let Terry in on their concerns.... and he claims to
have broken land speed records in making his way to that particular PO.

Be that as it may....it's out now and I keep Terry advised of the landings
and of your comments.  It really is helpful, folks - after all.... this is
the only contact most people have with AIS at all, and so we want to make
sure that we're meeting their expectations.

As for the Symposium Redux, which Gerry Snyder has taken on (I'm telling
Gerry about my friend who has a teeshirt that says "Help! Stop Me Before I
Volunteer Again").  This is a VERY important document.  Yes, it's a
popularity contest and not intended to be as critical as the Judges Ballot -
BUT - it's still a recommendation of sorts on what a real live person can buy
and feel good about in their region.  So let's promise ourselves to sit down
TODAY (if you have it, that is) and fill out your ballot and drop it into
Monday's mail.  Your RVP will tally your region - and then Gerry will tally
them all.  As someone pointed out - the complete symposium results might be
skewed towards the larger regions (or more diligent regions, I should say),
BUT - the regional tallies should accurately reflect good growers for you and
your climate.  maybe Gerry could do a table of the top 10 growers in all the
regions or something (says kathyguest, thinking of more work for someone else
to do), or pester your RVP to include YOUR region's symposium results in the
regional newsletter!  The results will only be as good as the people who vote
- so don't forget.

And if someone wants to share their votes with this list... that would be fun
too!

(and you ask yourself, how much coffee has she had, anyway???)

But, I digress.  Here are the landings so far.  Please keep me up to date -
and include:  first/last name, city/state, date and any comments.

First name  last name   city    state   date rec'd
RL  Karr    Newport WA  11/05/99
Leslie  Jobe'   somewhere   KY  11/06/99
Doris   Shinn   Spokane WA  11/06/99
Judy    Keisling    Liberty MO  11/08/99
Carryl  Meyer   western MT  11/08/99
Cindy   Gardener    Albuquerque NM  11/09/99
Christa Royer   St. Louis   MO  11/10/99
Arnold  Koekkoek    Sioux Center    IA  11/10/99
Jane    Paarks  Tucson  AZ  11/10/99
Betty   Wilkerson   Bowling Green   KY  11/10/99
Janet   Natale  Myrtle Beach    SC  11/10/99
Barb    Johnson Springfield MO  11/10/99
Judy    Hunt        KY  11/12/99
Donald  Eaves           11/12/99
Rick    Tasco   Cathey's Valley CA  11/12/99
Lynn    Lamb    Belmont NC  11/12/99
Pat     Dallas  TX  11/12/99
Karen   Jellum  northcentral    MT  ll/08/99

Kathy Guest
E. Aurora, NY