Re: REF: Symposium Ballot

From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>

Hello Folks,

Gerry Snyder writes:
>Several of the AIS sections have their own symposia. This one will stay
How about that symposium Mike Lowe started?  Any progress?

 >Those things could just need different climate to be great.
Yeah, but I keep adjusting, relocating etc to see if I can provoke
good perfomance.  Tend to move the really good growers and the
really bad growers and leave the middle ones be a bit longer.

>BTW, I intend to submit an article to the Bulletin on variations from
>region to region in the voting, in the next issue after the total
This is very good.  About the time I hit the send button on the last
post it occurred to me that a symposium by region might be more
helpful in selecting cultivars to acquire and try.  Not that I'm likely
to give up those wild selections based on descriptions in catalogs.
I'm a sucker for those descriptions.  It's always interesting to see
how far off my imagination varies from the actual resulting bloom.
Sometimes I miss pretty far.  And sometimes I get a really good

I'll fill mine out today.  Probably won't list more than half a dozen.
Maybe I'm too critical, but they must have done pretty well in terms
of performance or it won't get a check mark.  Just a nice bloom is
not quite enough for one who is interested in impact in the garden.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7