Re: REF: Symposium Ballot

From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>

>   About the time I hit the send button on the last
> post it occurred to me that a symposium by region might be more
> helpful in selecting cultivars to acquire and try.  Not that I'm likely to
> give up those wild selections based on descriptions in catalogs. I'm a
> sucker for those descriptions.  It's always interesting to see how far off
> my imagination varies from the actual resulting bloom. Sometimes I miss
> pretty far.  And sometimes I get a really good surprise.
>

> Donald Eaves
> donald@eastland.net
> Texas Zone 7

Donald, Gerry, and others,

Yes, there has been considerable talk here about the AIS TB
Symposium.

As I remember we have discussed the following:

	Letting each section or region conduct their own symposium,
which means having the TBIS conduct the TB Symposium for TB's.
Then AIS would be completely out of the mechanics of the
symposium.

	There was a suggestion that the AIS Symposium include all
irises, not just TB's. But, there was talk of more errors because of
the size of the list.

	Whatever new form the symposium takes, the results would be
published in the BAIS.

	There was talk of automating the ballot.

	As things are now when one looks at the percentages of voters
in the various regions, one can see that the results might not really
be representative or show a true picture of what grows well in an
area.

	Another problem with the current symposium is that the list of
winners becomes a sort of 'sale guide' for customers everywhere,
when, in fact, many of the irises on the list are poor growers in
certain areas.  It seems wise to stick with your regional
symposium if you are going to rely on one at all.

	Personally, I think the time has come to make a change so we
won't lose what can be a valuable tool.  Some old timers may
remember something called the Judges' Choice Ballot.  We lost
that, too.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8