REF: Bulletin

From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>

Listers

Maybe we should do what all the "big" magazines do - title each issue 2 months
subsequent to the publication date and keep the same deadlines. That way each
issue would come out a month before it was due...

Then we could hire a full time staff of writers (one of the toughest jobs is
getting articles), editors (because a lot of folks even though they have
*great* things to say need a little writing help), layout personnel (to get
the stories and pictures to fit in some sort of reasonable sequence),
photographers (I mean after all iris pictures is what we all want to see),
publishing coordinators (somebody needs to collect all those photos, select
the right ones to fit the story or theme, get them scanned at the local shop
which will inevitably muff the job, get all the authorizations and copyright
issues cleared, locate the right printer, schedule press time, select the
right paper, get the files, art and photos delivered, correct the press check,
make sure the most current mailing list is available,and get the finished
product delivered to the stuffing and mailing facility. oh, and be sure we are
up on the latest postal regs). Did I mention color correction?  MAJOR problem.

Course if we want to be most efficient we could buy our own (6 digit cost)
stuffing and labeling machine, find a facility to house it (let alone move it
every so often) and hire staff to run it.

Nah, why do all that, I am sure we can find somebody to do it in their spare time....

IMHO, I think Terry has done a great job in getting the bulletins out, and
dramatically improving their look and content. Yes, there have been glitches
along the way. and we should always voice our concerns and suggestions for
improvement. No issue will ever be perfect, but I think we should also give
credit where crediot is due - Thanks Terry!

John, who is sure he is on a lot more "hit lists" now and gotten himself
labled as eminently offensive...

                         | "There be dragons here"

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Visit my website at:
http://members.home.net/jijones

President, Westbay Iris Society
Director, Region 14 of the AIS
AIS Special Committee for Electronic Member Services

Subscribe to iris-talk at:
http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/iris-talk

Subscribe to iris-photos at:
http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/iris-photos