Re: REF: Symposium Ballot

From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>

Anner writes:

>We could, of course, do our own garden-worthiness Sympsium on our own terms

What a fiendish idea!  This might not be as safe as it sounds.  Much easier
to do the armchair coach bit.

>Each person willing to sign their name and identify their location by state
>and USDA Zone, or country for our foreign members, might simply post a list
>of up to twenty five irises, bearded or beardless, hybrid or species, old
or
>new, that they can state with confidence born of individual experience, are
>superior garden irises in their area.

As is?  Or might we want the span of years with growing experience?  And
could we perhaps define and reach a consensus on what constitutes a good
garden iris?  For instance different plants might work well in specific
situations, but not in others.  An IB might serve as superior plant where a
TB might be too tall.  A cultivar might not increase greatly every year, but
might give consistent bloom every year without blooming out.

>Might that information be useful?

Could be very useful in selecting cultivars.  This would be even more
useful if a high percentage of the lurkers on this list could also share
their experiences.  And it the question of write-ins would be moot.
We might even find that some we are doubtful of growing were being
grown successfully in an area with similar conditions.

Some thoughts from other talkers?

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7