Re: HYB: Planning crosses

From: "Colleen Modra" <irises@senet.com.au>

Hi Donald
I do save pollen throughout the year and find that it is often viable the
following season. This enable me to use pollen from rebloomers etc on
anything I want or cross earlies with lates. I use small laboratory flip-top
tubes, commonly called "eppendorf tubes" avail from many laboratory supply
company. I label these with a stick-on paper tag as I collect the pollen. I
remove the whole stamens and put them in the tube. I use about 5 different
racks for the tubes, one for seedlings, yellow/white, pink/orange,
blue/purple and other colours. I then stack the racks in a large airtight
staorage container in the fridge. In the bottom of the tub I sprinkle milk
powder as a dessicant. I leave the caps off the tubes for a few weeks until
the stigma ia  completely dry, then the cap can be flipped on. I'm not sure
if the pollen would store better in the freezer, I haven't tried. Another
adventage, when you have a large garden as we do, is that it saves a lot of
running around, as I collect and pollinate as I move from one part to
another.

Colleen Modra in South Aust, where we're still having a very mild spring,
but the TBs are on their last few weeks and I'm on a plane off to Perth for
another week. I wish there was enought money in irises to pay the mortgage
as I hate leaving the garden in bloom season.