Re: HYB: Planning crosses

From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>

>All those seeds to plant!  Made me think about planned crosses.
>Since I am interested more in using the aril family in making
>crosses, I wondered how on earth to make plans.  They tended
>to bloom earlier than the TBs so how is one to manage the
>aril x TB?   Save pollen from one season to the next?  Or just
>plan on making the TB x aril and let the pod parent remain
>primarily in the TB category.  This last year I only managed to
>get a pod set on one 1/4 aril, so any resulting seedlings I grow
>will be TB by class.  This was true of nearly all the seeds I
>ended with.  I have very few seeds which would produce a plant
>which would fall into the 1/4 arilbred class, but nearly all I have
>would be 1/8.
>Which brings another question.  There are several less than
>1/4 aril cultivars out there.  What is their makeup when/if they
>get crossed back to the aril family?  Are they likely to be classed
>as 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 etc., but still contain more aril genes?  Or do the
>way the genes pair up in the original crosses make them pretty
>much the same as any non aril ancestry TB?

Yes, you can certainly save pollen from one season to the next by freezing
it.  I collect it with tweezers and store it in an empty 35mm film canister.

I don't have enough experience to boldly plan my crosses yet.  At least not
with specific cultivars.  I just know that I want to get reblooming
arilbreds so I cross any rebloomer with any arilbred and then hope for the

As for your questions on genetics, I wish I could help!  But I barely have
a grasp on such things myself.

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com