Re: REF: Symposium Ballot

From: "John Bruce" <jbruce@infinet.com>

Just about every section conducts a popularity poll for their
particular brand of iris. Until just recently, there was no "section"
for TB irises. Thus it makes sense that the AIS  represented the
tall beardeds. Once all the political machinations are completed,
perhaps the TBIS will  conduct the symposium.  I find the number of
symposium ballots recieved vs. the number sent to be interesting.
Only 20% of the ballots were returned for the 1998 symposium. If this
was the response for the "favorite" flower, I cringe to think of the returns
from the general membership for the other types.

I do agree that it  would be nice if all the symposiums were printed
in the Bulletin.

I can not recall the last Bulletin that was entirely focused on TBs.
The Bulletin, which is the "voice" of the AIS, nicely covers all topics
and all sections of irises. Is it skewed in favor of Talls? Maybe it
is, but then so is the iris world. The average iris fanatic still favors
talls-they are overall the easiest to grow over the broadest geographical
area. Talls will grow where siberians, dwarfs, JI, arils and spurias
do not fare well.  Like most things in the world, the AIS has to play to
the broadest audience in order to attract and retain members. And for
those who feel that  they need a sharper focus on their particular type
of iris, sections were created.  Also, the editors of the Bulletin can
only print what is submitted. I think the editor might welcome articles on
all the under-represented irises......now  only if those interested in them would
submit a few.