Re: REF: Symposium Ballot

From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>

A short list since many of the irises I grow have not been here long
enough to have time to develop their potential.  I chose the following
because they have grown dependably and had good bloom following
the growth.  Growing conditions in this part of Zone 7 tend to be hot,
dry summers with low humidity; mild winters with short periods of
sub-freezing weather interspersed with warmer periods which often
set up the last freeze scenario for irises; short springs with variable
rainfall & often already hot temps before the end of bloom season;
the falls tend to be extensions of summer, usu with more consistent
rainfall but temps can wait until late to cool off.

LEMON CHESS - TB simply have never had ANY iris perform as well.
VOLTAGE - TB a good performer here, strong growth, lots of bloom.
SATAN'S MISTRESS -AB steady, consistent & the richest sunfast color
SAHRA TASH -AB a subtle pastel with impossible to describe touches
KOKO KNOLL - AB stems a bit floppy, but a stunner in gold/browns
TRAITOR - TB strong growth/bloom in one of those love it/hate it shades
BREAKERS - TB a solid performer
PORTRAIT OF LARRIE - TB another solid one
JADE QUEEN - TB a graceful 50's beauty in an art shade
AQUA WHISPERS - SIB short as grown here, but gives prolific bloom
AMERICAN SWEETHEART - TB solid growth/bloom and great color combo
CAJUN SPICES - LA a winner with lots of presence
THORNBIRD - TB very strong growth, prolific bloom in odd colors - looks nice
                      against a tan limestone backdrop.

I think my list will get longer when some currently growing have more time
to prove themselves.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7