Re: HYB: Planning Crosses

From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>

Sharon writes:

>Something that computes to less than 1/4 aril by the old quantum system
>tends to function as either a 1/4-bred or non-aril, but the only way to
>find out which category one falls into is to test it.

>Some of the now-historic ones were described as having signal patches.
>Today, one of these would have to be registered as a TB.  Why not be the
>one to shake up the iris world by introducing a TB with a signal? <G>

Not likely at my age.  However, I am interested in having fun with the
crosses.  I just had a bit of trouble carrying out my plans due to the lack
of bloom, different bloom times, no pollen about the middle of bloom
season (weather related maybe?) and probably the biggest factor being
inexperience in the process.  But then I did end up with all those seeds
using SATAN'S MISTRESS when I didn't expect anything at all and those
would be less than 1/4 aril and it would be nice to transfer that colorfast
quality to a good brown or red.  Not to mention the depth of color it
displays.  So far those in that color range tend get washed out in our
sun.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7