Re: CULT: my favorites

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>

Greetings, Everyone!

Here is my list of favorite irises that includes those that I find
particularly appealing aesthetically and which are also strong, dependable
performers in the garden. In order to characterize their performance with
some assurance, I have limited my choice to those cultivars I have grown
through at least three bloom seasons.

My garden is located in a mountain valley at an elevation of 4800 ft.. It
is near the borderline between USDA Zones 4 and 5, but the recent mild
winters would meet the qualifications for USDA Zone 6 or even 7. The soil
is a stony, well-drained, fertile silt loam with a nearly neutral (7.0) pH.
Most precipitation occurs between November and May and irrigation is
necessary during the summer months. The worst weather problem for irises
are the late spring freezes. The worst disease problem of irises is
botrytis rot in the early spring. There is also some soft rot that occurs
during the warmer months.

The list (by class of iris):

IB: Cee Jay, Dark Waters, Let's Elope, Maui Moonlight

MTB: Abridged Version, Rosemary's Dream

TB (Historic): Foxfire, Margarita, Pinnacle

TB: Best Bet, Blue Staccato, Capricious, Celebration Song, Champagne
Elegance, Jesse's Song, Punkin Patch, Secret Melody, Shorebird, Stairway To
Heaven, Sultry Mood, Vanity

AB: Seraph's Jewel, Turkish Heart

SIB: High Standards, Lavender Bounty, Pas-de-Deux

Spec-X: Roy Davidson

There are actually 27 irises in the above list, but I thought it would be
too invidious a task to try to decide which two to throw out.

This is quite a fascinating exercise - Thanks, Anner, for prompting us to
undertake it!