Re: CULT: my favorites

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

For reliability and greatest love [these 11 are the ones that I check
over and over and over again, looking forward to every bloom]:
I. pallida
I. cristata
BLACK GAMECOCK
DUSKY CHALLENGER
HARVEST OF MEMORIES
WABASH
an unknown sent to me by Katherine Mohr (Anner guesses this one might be
SHAH JEHAN)
2 of my ugly pallida crosses
INTO THE NIGHT
DESERT REALM

For greatest love and reliability of plant (but not necessarily bloom):
I. germanica
IMMORTALITY (my expectations are continual bloom!  she doesn't always
cooperate:)
BLITZ
BLACK MAGIC (old IB that gets frozen spring and fall & demands to be
divided to even try to bloom :<)

For reliability and therefore love [these 8 are the ones I take for
granted - they are ridiculously reliable and I would probably treasure
them more if I wasn't so sure they would bloom every year]:
PERFUME COUNTER
STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN
an ancient, late-blooming table iris that hopefully will be identified
one day
CELEBRATION SONG
CHERRY SMOKE
GOLDEN APPLE
CARIBBEAN DREAM
and grudgingly HONORABILE (I don't think it's pretty, but it is one
determined iris)

The other 7 (some I haven't had long enough to grant them top billing):
VICTORIA FALLS
BELVI QUEEN
an unknown bronze TB
VANITY
BEHOLD A LADY
NIGHT GAME is probably going to be on this list
PLAY WITH FIRE

And I will probably change my mind immediately - it was fun to make a
"virtual" tour of my yard in bloom season, along the foundations of the
house to check for buds on I. germanica both before and after freezes,
to see if they were going to make it; to the clumps of pallida and BLACK
MAGIC; and the bits and pieces of HONORABILE that I haven't given or
thrown away - all growing under the deluge of rain from my unguttered
eaves (well, back when it used to rain).  And to go to check all of the
beds and rows, remembering which plants I would be especially eager to
check on each day during bloom season, and the surprise stalks of BELVI
QUEEN late this summer, right in the middle of drought.

This list is different from my list of reliable performers - some of
them aren't here - my virtual tour didn't "see" them.  They aren't
special enough.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA
WAY behind on reading & answering email, but couldn't resist this