HYB: Planning Crosses

From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>

When I hit the "Reply" button to respond to someone's post about 1/4-bred X
TB crosses, my digest disappeared into cyberspace.  Sorry 'bout that,
folks.  If I seem to be ignoring a later question, it's because I didn't
get to read it.

In a nutshell, there have been enough introductions from this type of cross
to indicate that it's fairly easy to make.  The registered ones date to the
era in which they qualified as arilbreds, and few of them survive because
they fell out of fashion.   When the quantum limit was adopted, many
hybridizers simply dropped out of the arilbred world and those who
continued to work with arilbreds stopped making this type of cross.

So why do it now?  Not to win awards, obviously.  But sometimes it's fun to
explore areas like this and it would certainly be possible to produce a
novelty worthy of introduction.  We now know much more about producing
quarterbreds with signals, and those lessons can be extended to using those
quarterbreds with TBs.

It's an ideal project for the hobbiest, or anyone who doesn't want to
embark on a program that involves line breeding.  With this type of cross,
either you get what you want in the first generation or you don't.  [Gus
was 74  when he made the cross, 83 when Tom & I talked him into introducing

The most serious obstacle won't even come into play unless you get
something worthy of introduction.  Such a cross normally produces
chromosome-set quarterbreds and chromosome-set TBs, but there have also
been examples counted as having three TB sets of chromosomes and one set of
To register one of these as a quarterbred under current rules, though, you
have to prove that it has an entire set of aril chromosomes.   Even if it
LOOKS like a quarterbred it would be easier to just register it as a TB.
That's what I meant by "shaking up the TB world".

If this sounds like an interesting project and you have questions and the
details of how to proceed, please write to me off-list.

Sharon McAllister