Bloom in Australia

From: Dianne Dalla Santa <dalla@apollo.ruralnet.net.au>

Hi Colleen, Jan and all

I thought I'd note down which varieties of TB's were still in bloom here in
the top NW corner of Victoria to post here.  The list grew to at least 100
varieties still with bloom so here is just a few. SUPREME SULTAN, SULTANS
PALACE, EDNA'S WISH, MONTEVIDEO, SILVERADO, NEW CENTURIAN,BAHLOO (the lady
who registered this moved to Toowoomba QLD)
SOSTENIQUE,ORIGINALITY,MAGHAREE, KIRRAWEE, FIT THE BILL, INDIGO PRINCESS,
FEMININE CHARM and over 86 more. Some are quite old varieties, real
favourites like CHAMBER MUSIC, INDIAN TERRITORY etc and some are Grovenors
and Blyths more recent introductions. Overall they represent perhaps about
one quarter of my TB collection still in bloom from just a few last buds to
entire spikes.

Colleen I'm glad SAIS show was a success. Bill and I, along with 30 others,
many longtime Victorian Iris Society members were in Melbourne for the
Victorian Rose Centenary celebrations and attended the Vic Iris Show. I had
not been to Melbourne for an Iris Show in years and had expected much more
than what we saw. It is simply too far away for we country exhibitors to
compete which probably makes the iris sections at country shows so very
successful. We also have larger gardens to draw on for exhibits especially
the rural gardens.

We are experiencing quite cool and overcast conditions here at present.
Good for the gardens but not so good for the vines which need to be sprayed
regularly for mildews now that the crop is showing. Plenty of weeds too
that always get away during iris flowering when we seem to going someplace
every other day. The Rose Festivals took a fair chunk of our time this
year. Too many hats!

Great to see another Aussie on board. Welcome.

Dianne in Red Cliffs, Victoria where the jacaranda trees look resplendent
against the grey skies and green vineyards as far as the eye can see!.