1/4 x TBs

From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>

You may regret sending this post!

>In a nutshell, there have been enough introductions from this type of cross
>to indicate that it's fairly easy to make.  The registered ones date to the
>era in which they qualified as arilbreds, and few of them survive because
>they fell out of fashion.   When the quantum limit was adopted, many
>hybridizers simply dropped out of the arilbred world and those who
>continued to work with arilbreds stopped making this type of cross.
>
>So why do it now?  Not to win awards, obviously.  But sometimes it's fun to
>explore areas like this and it would certainly be possible to produce a
>novelty worthy of introduction.  We now know much more about producing
>quarterbreds with signals, and those lessons can be extended to using those
>quarterbreds with TBs.
>
>It's an ideal project for the hobbiest, or anyone who doesn't want to
>embark on a program that involves line breeding.  With this type of cross,
>either you get what you want in the first generation or you don't.  [Gus
>was 74  when he made the cross, 83 when Tom & I talked him into introducing
>SATAN'S MISTRESS.]
>
>The most serious obstacle won't even come into play unless you get
>something worthy of introduction.  Such a cross normally produces
>chromosome-set quarterbreds and chromosome-set TBs,
> but there have also
>been examples counted as having three TB sets of chromosomes and one set of
>mixed.

It's this last that intrigues me.  Why wouldn't this begin to stack aril
genes in
a TB-like plant?  And why wouldn't you begin to line breed here?  If you
could
accumulate more aril genes while maintaining TB hardiness, it seems that
line breeding would be the means of doing so.  If I were doing it, it would
be
the plant I was after, not necessarily how it could be registered.  I
realize
that the genetic knowledge would be important, but I haven't grasped the
whole picture somehow.  It seems to me that the proper selection of crosses
which added more aril genes, even if only bit by bit, would move them toward
being more accessible as garden subjects.  Those that picked up the less
hardy or more difficult aril aspects could be discarded or used just as the
ones currently are being used.  Fill me in on what I'm not seeing here.

>To register one of these as a quarterbred under current rules, though, you
>have to prove that it has an entire set of aril chromosomes.   Even if it
>LOOKS like a quarterbred it would be easier to just register it as a TB.
>That's what I meant by "shaking up the TB world".

In a way, didn't Mr. Seligmann achieve exactly what aril breeders were
looking for with SATAN'S MISTRESS?  It's got intense color saturation,
strong substance, superior texture on a gardenable plant much like a
TB.  It just didn't have the onco appearance.  But it doesn't quite look
just like the TBs either, tho it's difficult to pinpoint exactly why.  It
has
somehow to do with the above, but I can't quite explain what it is.  Still
it is a remarkable iris and is selected as THE standout even by visitors
here when it is in bloom.  Without any prompting.  Something is visible
even to the untrained eye or that wouldn't happen.  I thought it was
sterile, but wanted practice daubing and ended up with all these seed
pods :).  Well that was a learning experience and I'll grow them.  It's too
late to save pollen from last year, but I've been acquiring lots of the aril
family and they now range from 1/8 to 100%.  Obviously I can't use
them all, nor would I have the time to look after that many.  Soooo, that
means more planning. It's likely that at age 52 this just ends being an
exercise for fun, but I can make it serious fun.

>If this sounds like an interesting project and you have questions and the
>details of how to proceed, please write to me off-list.

Thanks.  May I begin with the above?  If not, what's the best approach
for the first generation end-of-line scenario?

Donald Eaves