Favorite Stalwarts of My Garden

From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>

My garden is in the loess hills of North Mississippi on the border of
Zones 7 and 8, seventy miles south of Memphis, TN.  Oxford (Ole
Miss) is thirty miles northeast and is in Zone 7.  Charleston is
twelve miles to the southwest and is in Zone 8.  Low temperatures
in Oxford are always colder, so I really think my garden is in Zone
8.  Enid Lake, a Corps of Engineer Lake nearby,  may make the
temperature warmer in this area.   Most of my irises are in raised
beds that are terraced on the hillside.  Seedlings and older irises
are considered row crops and are treated as such and are planted
in a large area that slopes. All areas for the bearded irises are well-
drained.   When worked, the soil (on the acidic side) is very loose
which makes a happy bed for just about every type of iris except
MDB's and PCN's.  (The heat gets the former and the cold the
latter).  Our average annual rainfall is between fifty and sixty
inches; however, the last two years have been terribly dry.  We are
very humid in the summertime, and temperatures can soar over
100o for weeks in July and August yet rot is not a problem here.

	On to the stalwarts:

	TB's - Dusky Challenger, Muted Melody, Rebecca Anne
   (terribly overlooked pale blue with deeper blue beard), Stairway to
   Heaven, Vanity, Villain, Wishful Thinking

	SA - Art School Angel  (flounced fluffy white)

	SDB - Privileged Character (luminata plic)

	IB - Blast, Busy Body (overlooked tailored tan and maroon),
           Lemon Pop (should have won the Dykes - the greatest IB)

	MTB - Louise Hopper (older yellow)

	BB - YO (red with eerie beard)

	AB - Bold Sentry (black beard sets it off)

	LA - Marie Dolores, Red Echo, Vinicolor (that LA stepchild
            nobody wants to recognize)

	Spu/Spec - I. ochroleuca/orientalis, Belize

	Species - I. fulva (copper)

	JI - Leave Me Sighing, Royal Pageant, Springtime Snow

	Spec-X - Mauve Snowtop (a sibtosa that blooms prolifically)

	Historic - Lalitha Mallette (classic blue/white plic), Mary
                    MCClellan (multi-branched and budded violet),
                    Moonlit Sea (luminata prototype), The Black Douglas

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8