HIST: TB: SHAH JEHAN

From: HIPSource@aol.com

Linda Mann in Tennesee, sharing her list of gardenworthy favorites mentioned:

<< an unknown sent to me by Katherine Mohr (Anner guesses this one might be
 SHAH JEHAN) >>

Ah, the beauty!

Do you all know this iris? It is really very fine indeed. I would say that it
is a WABASH type with alternate and more complex coloring. The form is
similar in many respects, but the standards are a pale champagne yellow, the
falls a deep garnet with rusty shoulders and a fine rim of pale cream which
carries as white. Very authoritative and quite beautiful. Blooms late. A
Canadian iris, registered by Neel in 1932. AMBASSADEUR was his mother. One of
my unknowns until last year.

Here, let me give you some period descriptions.....

"A rich blend of very unusual coloring, the standards are creamy buff, the
falls lustrous purple edged wth buff, fawn and copper tones on the haft."
Hill's catalog, 1939.

"A glorious Iris of rich oriental colorings. Awarded a Medal in England.
S--buff, suffused gray; F--plum-red with intense reddish brown flush at the
throat." Wayman's catalog, 1936.

Wayside sold it for years, giving it wide distribution, and their description
was very florid and emphasized the number of different colors involved. I'd
give you that description, too, but my ginger tomcat is asleep and gently
snoring on that particular pile of stuff and I have not the heart to move him.

Anner Whitehead
HIPSource@aol.com