Re: Re: AIS: REF: Symposium ballot

From: Gerry Snyder <gcsnyd@loop.com>

Linda Mann wrote:
> .... Any chance of doing the symposium on line next year?

If all AIS members were on line it would be very easy to do (I would
like very much learning how to set it up so it would be a very easy way
for folks to vote).

However, a significant number of members aren't, and some RVP's aren't
either. So if RVP's continue counting their regions, the online ones
would get a mix of electronic and paper ballots, while members in
regions with offline RVP's would have to vote on paper.

If RVP's got out of the loop entirely, I would have a much larger task
than I signed up for, with several hundred electronic votes and several
hundred paper ones. Not absolutely out of the question, but right now it
doesn't seem too appealing.

The middle ground might be better, with RVP's counting paper and me
counting the electronic votes and merging them with the subtotals from
the RVP's. I would report back to the RVP's on the totals for their
regions. Checking to prevent voting twice would be some extra work.

In at least one region the RVP is expected to keep separate subtotals
for the different states in the region, and things like this would be an
added complication.

A big change like this would require approval of the AIS board of

So, having given the long answer, I must say that the short answer is
"No," not next year.

But I would love to work with you and the others on this list over the
next few months to come up with a proposal to present to the board.

Gerry Snyder, AIS Symposium Chair
Region 15 Ass't RVP, JT Chair
in warm, winterless Los Angeles