Re: TB: Vanity--Bud Count?

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>

> From: Gerry Snyder <gcsnyd@loop.com>
>
> One of the frequently mentioned favorite TB iris is Vanity.
> But I do have a question. For me she is uaually low on bud count. Five
> seems typical. Does she have more blooms in other climes, or do the rest
> of you overlook this one deficiency as I do?

Gerry,

Here is what Ben Hager wrote about VANITY in the 1976 Melrose Gardens
catalog, the year after she was introduced:

"Near perfect medium pink flower; smoothness of color and classic form with
adequate ruffling will demonstrate that. However, four buds to the stalk is
not enough - were it not for the fact that there are nearly always two to
five stems from each rhizome with increase left over."

Don't complain - you are getting 25% more buds per stalk than did the man
who hybridized her! (-:

Actually, I have not particularly noticed an especially low bud count on
VANITY - perhaps it's a California sort of thing!

jcwalters@bridgernet.com