CULT: favorites

From: "Dan & Marilyn Mason" <dmason@rainyriver.lakeheadu.ca>

TB -
---------

SPARTAN (older blackish red which resists borers)

MISS HOUSTON (older iris with floppy dog eared falls. One stalk or
flower doesn't look like much but it looks nice in clump, Grows
shorter than most TBs here.)

IB -
-------

CUMQUAT (Peach pink that really makes incredible clumps. Hard to
see the plants for all the flowers.)

ASK ALMA (smaller shorter salmon pink that makes clumps thick with
flowers)

AS AP (shorter sky blue, good clumps, more flowers, more color,
blooms longer than any other hybrid bearded iris I've tried. In
two different rows I planted this iris 2 rhyzomes per clump, and 3
per clump. Several years later, the AS APs planted two per spot
grow like IBs, and the AS APs planted 3 per space grow like SDBs.
The 3 per space planted plants begin and finish blooming a week
earlier than the 2 per space plants.)

RARE EDITION

MTB -
---------

UNKNOWN LOCAL HISTORIC (yellow standards, rust brown falls,
survives for many years without cultivation)

APHYLLA -
--------------

UNKNOWN LOCAL HISTORIC (small dark purple, sometimes reblooming,
survived for many years without cultivation. These last two irises
were the first irises I grew. They were found growing near old
abandoned homesites within 1.5 miles from here.)

SDB
----------

SARAH TAYLOR (nice mostly yellow with 4 falls sometimes)

SIB -
----------

WINE WINGS (not the greatest form or color, but it grows large
clumps in a sunny location where most varieties died out during a
late summer dry spell. It sometimes has repeat blossoms.)

SHIRLEY POPE

DREAMING YELLOW

SILVER EDGE (is the Sib I miss the most of those that died in dry
weather.)

JI -
-------

UNKNOWN HYBRID (beautiful large soft flowered white sent me by Ian
Efford)

PSEUDACORUS -
--------------------

UNKNOWN HYBRID (wonderful yellow sent to me by Ian Efford. The
Pseud. species seedlings I grew from SIGNA Seed Exchange look like
good plants to grow in a ditch with tall wild grasses and weeds.
But this hybrid grew like a garden plant, made a nice clump.)

VERSICOLOR -
------------------

LOCAL SPECIES (small bluish flowers, showy seed stalks, pods.)

SYSRINCHIUM -

LOCAL SPECIES (small cute grasslike clumps with miniature bright
blue star shaped flowers followed by bead shaped seed pods.
Individual clumps seem shortlived, but self seed and show up as
new clumps here and there to keep themselves going.)

I have some promising seedlings of Versicolors and Setosas from
SIGNA seed exchange, including some beautiful white flowered
plants of each but have not separated them and grown them as
clumps yet.

Dan Mason  zone 3, NW Ontario