SPEC: Iris tectorum

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 11/15/99 10:11:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
sidneygardener@email.msn.com writes:

<<  I live in Albuquerque, NM. High mesa county. Its hard to tell what our
real zone is. I've read zone charts that put me in Zone 5, Zone 6, or Zone
7.....

  I. tectorum, blue and alba>>

Interesting. I've been trying to find out just how hardy this one actually
is. It is semi-evergreen here in Zone 7 Virginia and the old foliage gets hit
pretty hard at the tips in late January. New leaves emerge, however, before
the blooms appear, so it is not hard to groom the plant to look its best for
its moment of glory. Contrary to the usual expectation, I have found the
white to be stonger than the blue in this species, and this has been the case
with three different blue clones grown from seed.

Anner Whitehead
HIPSource@aol.com