Re:TB:Vanity

From: "Carryl M. Meyer" <carrylm@bigsky.net>

To the person who said that Vanity should be a Dykes--it is!! It was the
Dykes winner in 1982--so--it must grow and flourish somewhere--but not
here!! In our club garden, there is a row of all Dykes winners--all that is,
with a few exceptions--some will not live here--and Vanity heads that
list!!!
Almost every year, new rhizomes of Vanity have to be purchased--if we have a
warm winter and it does survive, then it does not bloom--I have to go out of
state to see it bloom--so, if I was voting the ballot back in '82, I would
not have voted for it-
This spring we were given starts of 'Vanity's Child'--which does grow
here--so am eagerly awaiting next bloom season to see if it 'child' survives
and if it will bloom--
Generally, pinks do not survive here--the exceptions are Pink Boa, Pink
Kitten, Ovation and a few of the older ones--even Pink 'n Mint is struggling
and probably will not make it through this winter--
Several of the newer peach to apricot colored Iris seem to be doing
better--at least they are mostly alive after several years--
So--if Vanity does grow in your area, just forget about the bud count not
being as high as some others, and enjoy it--grow larger clumps and you will
have more bloom stalks and more blooms--and be thankful that it will grow
and bloom for you.
Carryl in western Montana--zone 3/4  where we were setting records for hot
days--and we also had very cold nights