TB:Symposium Ballot

From: "Carryl M. Meyer" <carrylm@bigsky.net>

To people who live in warmer areas--I am sure that you have your own
criteria for choosing your favorite TB's--but for here--one of the most
important criteria is--does it survive--even for 3 years?  Our problem is
not having enough snow cover when an 'Alberta Clipper'--a very very cold
wind from Canada--comes through--usually in mid January--following a
Chinook-a warm wind-- The plants warm up--moisture tries to flow to the
leaves--but the ground is frozen so the roots cannot suck up any
moisture--then comes the cold wind and really dries everything out--and the
outcome is--dead plants--I have found that trimming the leaves prior to
winter does seem to have a positive effect upon Iris--less leaf area to be
dried out--
With that in mind, here are my favorite TB's--
Abbey Road--not too well known, but does seem to thrive here
Bayberry Candle--oldie, but neat color and form
Afternoon Delight--grows like a weed!!
Blenheim Royal-- about the only one in its color range that does not sunburn
here
Cherry Smoke--always great here--'specially when tulips the same color are
planted with it--there have been 'improvements' on CS--but none survive here
so far
Eagle's Flight--so pretty and dainty--and great color
Fancy Woman--wow!
Fiesta Song--another 'different' color
Gypsy Woman--such delicate coloring--and the flowers last for several days
Jesse's Song--about the greatest plicata ever introduced
Kilt Lilt--tries to outgrow everything else in the Dykes row--
Laced Cotton--such great form--and really a white-white
Lorelei--best here in that color
Michigan Pride--don't see it too much in guest gardens--but here it grows
rampant and the color is traffic stopping--can be seen from blocks away--
First Interstate--first seen as a guest at annual meeting--now grown
here--another 'grows like a weed' and really a good color
Queen in Calico--what a color!! and the color pattern is interesting--one of
our top sellers every year at our sale--blooms prolifically
Supreme Sultan--a little touchy to keep growing--but another great color
Stairway to Heaven--if it comes up for a vote for it for the Dykes--I
probably will--have seen it in guest gardens at annual meeting, in many
gardens around our region--and it always looks good--
Tennison Ridge--what a grower--and great color
Toasted Watermelon--another 'different' color
Tiger Honey--interesting color and pattern
Voltage--another traffic stopper
Nigerian Raspberry--two great colors--and great color pattern
Edith Wolford--the color varies in different areas of our country--but here
is always great--crisp and sharp
Lady Friend--favorite for many years--another 'different color' one
and number 26 is--River Hawk--have to include that one for my husband--it is
an 'oldie--but still goodie'--grows great and blooms consistently--even
though there are many in this color pattern, RH seems to outlast them all in
the garden--so it gets a big vote for 'survival'
If anyone is interested in which Iris tend to do better in colder areas--we
are working on a list--compiled from our club garden, and hope to have it
ready by next spring--send me a note privately and I will put you on the
list for a copy--
Carryl in western Montana Zone 3/4--but last night--felt like zone 2!!!