Re: SPEC: Iris tectorum

From: Ellen Gallagher <e_galla@moose.ncia.net>

	Anner wrote:

>Interesting. I've been trying to find out just how hardy this one actually

	I grew I. tectorum that was sent to me by Mark Cook when he lived
	in Kentucky that bloomed and flourished here in Zone 3a. It was the
	blue variety...alas, I had to leave it in my previous garden but
	have great hopes of acquiring more species again.

	If it grows well in this very wet and windy Zone 3a, it is hardy.
	Again, I keep remembering what Lloyd Z. said re cold and irises...
	'cold is not an enemy of most irises'...I paraphrase with apologies
	to Lloyd.

	From my experience, culture and soil (which is part of culture, I
	guess) are vastly more important except for those classes that
	demand warmer and/or drier climes. It rains here profusely in every
	season. We have snow now and don't expect to see the ground until
	late March or early April at the earliest.

	Still working on my list of favorites - I have to cull my list
	down and down. I may send a list devoid of any TBs...not because
	of the climate - that is a factor though - we have such a short
	growing season and the wind is simply atrocious and every one
	has to be staked. I don't mind staking lilies but I rebel against
	staking irises. Still like them but they don't register on the
	WOW meter like the Siberians that grow and bloom over an incredible
	season. Same with the Medians which I have grown to adore.

Ellen Gallagher    /     e_galla@ncia.net
Northern New Hampshire, USA   /   Zone  3
Berlin, NH    in   'The Great North Woods'
Sunset Zone 44    /  http://www.ncia.net/
To subscribe to Siberian iris e-mail robin:

To view the Siberian iris archives:

Society for Siberian Irises web page: