CULT: My Favorites

From: Barb Johnson <bdjohnson@atlascomm.net>

Hi, all.  We haven't been growing irises very long, about 3 years. These
are not only my favorites, they're great survivors in spite of having
been planted late, or in four gallon pots, and still grow and bloom. We
had a wet spring, but currently have an over 11" deficit since June.
Judy Eckhoff has had lots more rain than we have. We currently have our
irises in two raised beds, besides the big pots. The dirt for the
biggest bed and the pots is a sifted topsoil-compost mix. The other bed
was here when we bought the place and is humusy but rocky, so it drains
well.  We make our own compost from all the mowing we do on our five

AMELIA'S DOVE (Mueller '93) TB -- Wonderful mauve-violet with tan hafts
and tangerine beards.

AMELIA'S ORCHID (Mueller '93) TB -- Orchid with long lacy spoons. Five
stalks on a 2 year plant. Probably the most stunning iris we have.

AMIGO (Williamson '34) TB -- Short and small-flowered here. Almost
looked like an MTB this year. Huge clump, tho.

AVALON SUNSET (Schreiner '94) TB -- Wonderful orange, faithful bloomer.
Had a beepod on it this year.

BLUE SHIMMER (Jacob Sass '41) TB -- Two big pots of this bloomed for the
first time this year, and made huge beepods besides. Love it!

BLUE STACCATO (Gibson '77) TB -- Has bloomed 3 years in a row; still
like it best of the several plicatas we have. It clumps nicely too.

BUTO (H. P. Sass '26) TB -- A short blue-purple bitone. Stunning
smaller, velvety-falled flowers.

CARAMEL AND HONEY (Hahn '89) TB -- Love the caramel coloring on this
one. Should do better when it's out of its pot.

CLOUDLESS SUNRISE (Niswonger '84) TB -- Isn't reblooming yet but was
very pretty this Spring, white standards and peachy falls.

CRINKLED GLORY (Mueller '95) TB -- Huge lacy blue, heavy waxy substance,
shrimp beards.

GRAND CANYON (Kleinsorge '41) TB -- Love the startling blue flash under
the beard. Blooms faithfully in its pot. Must move it!

GREENAN CASTLE (Beattie '71) TB -- Peachy standards, greenish-apricot
falls, what a combo! The description doesn't mention how green the falls
appear. A clump is stunning from a distance.

HANDS UP (Byers '88) TB SA -- Very faithful bloomer, altho the horns are
small. Made a huge clump that grows in a circle. Right now there are 9
same-size rhizomes, each with a baby fan on either side of the main fan.
I already took some out of this two year clump this year.

HERS (Ensminger '90) IB -- White standards, blue falls; not as pretty to
me as Wide Blue Eyes but the fragrance, wow!

HONORABILE (Lemon 1840) MTB -- Got this locally two years ago and
neither of us guessed what it could be until it bloomed this year, then
I recognized it from pictures. There's a very long row of it that blooms
every year at the old Courthouse in Springfield.

INDIAN CHIEF (Ayers '29) -- This came to me as 'Comanche' two years ago,
but when it bloomed, I knew what it had to be. The huge clump, six
stalks, bitone red. Mike is right about it growing just about anywhere.
The biggest, most vigorous clump we have, AFTER it bloomed this Spring.

JESSE'S SONG (Williamson '83) DM '90 -- In spite of falling over in the
wind, it was spectacular. I brought some stalks inside.

JOYCETTE (Jacob Sass '32) -- A red very similar to Dauntless, both of
which my Mom grew. Joycette is a later bloomer, and Dauntless has yellow
inside and light edges on its falls, which are redder than Joycette's.

PATRICE (DeForest '45)  Rosy lavender plicata. Love plicatas but this is
a special color. To my eyes a dusty rose. Must put it in a bed next

PHANTOM MIST (Hedgecock '94) TB -- This has bloomed for three years
straight. We all love its ghostly blues and light insides.

SAPPHIRE FUZZ (Niswonger '67) TB -- His first introduction, bloomed on a
two year clump this spring. Very nice blue with a blue beard.

SIERRA BLUE (Essig '32) TB DM '35 -- Large blue my Mom grew.

TIBURON (Gaulter '71) TB -- Lacy lavender with a tangerine beard, wow!

WEDDING CANDLES (Schreiner '82) TB -- Wonderful huge white and yellow.

WIDE BLUE EYES (Gaddie R.'89) IB  White with blue thumbprint. Prettier
than Hers, made a huge two year clump this year. No fragrance tho.

Adam Mueller's seedlings were wonderful this year, blooming for the
first time. I had a lot of favorites. Some purple, a white, a couple of
wonderful horned ones, a couple of broken color ones. A little of
Amigo, Honorabile, and Joycette are the latest-blooming iris we have, so
far, except for an unknown variegata and one of Adam Mueller's
seedlings. They didn't quit until into June.
Had several unknowns which we hope to identify someday. Meanwhile we
enjoyed them!  I have to say, I loved that one neglecta!

Cheers, Barb
Barb Johnson			mailto:bdjohnson@atlascomm.net
Near Springfield, SW Missouri	AIS, ISO, HIPS, RIS, MIS
USDA Zone 5b			AIS Region 18 (KS & MO)
Learn the natural way to health at    http://chetday.com