Re: PCNs

From: "Mike Sutton" <suttons@lightspeed.net>

Hi Tim,
I don't know about cold hardiness but we have a hard time getting them
through the summer.  This past summer we had a high survival rate because
the summer was so mild.  PCNs (or PCIs) are really finicky, they don't like
a lot of variation in temps.  The past winters freeze killed off quite a few
but some made it through.  George has a couple of seedlings that appear to
be heat hardy, they have made it through five summers.  If you had 5% make
it through the winter I would guess that you might be on to something with
those 5%.  Even the complete failure of an experiment is a valuable learning
experience for you and who ever else you give the results to.
Good Luck.
Mike Sutton
Porterville, CA Zone 8
With a ton of rebloom but about to turn cold and wet.