Re: REF: Symposium Ballot

From: DWiris@aol.com

Donald,
I was thinking about listing 25 favorites of our own introductions and last
night compiled a list of  36.  Between my husband and I we got it down to 25.

MDB:  April Ice, Daisy Fresh, Ivory Fashion, Little Drummer Boy, Pixie Flirt,
Alpine Lake and Buckeye Baby.
SDB: Angel's Kiss, Emerald Star, Glowing Eyes, Harlem Nocturne, Picasso
Print, Sabrina's Kiss and Silk and Velvet.
IB: Aurora's Blush, Magic Bubbles, Malibu Wildfire, Persian Wood, Radiant
Burst, and Vegas Lights.
BB: Brownberry.
MTB: Festive Glow.
TB: Adorable Diva.
SIB: Fairy Fingers and Mystic Lagoon.

All of these grow well in our very changeable climate, zones 5/6.  Usually we
have summers that are too damp, but the last two years have had extreme
drought and much hotter temperatures.  The last two winters have been milder
than usual with not much snow cover.  However, the winter before that dumped
snow that broke down trees and shrubs.  The irises have fared better these
two years than other perennials.  They prefer to be dry, but the hostas,
daylilies and astilbes took a beating.  Even the Siberian and Japanese irises
bloomed well, although shorter than usual.  This year we had much decreased
rot and borer problems which I attribute to the heat and drought.  So should
we hope for another year of drought?

Dorothy Willott