Re: CULT: Iris Borer

From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>

> Patrick Orr wrote:
>
> This one was similar in appearance, except for the color.  Instead of
> being pinkish-white, this one was clearly a dark grey color, with a
> black head.  I might even go so far as to say it was grey with
> slight green, and the body was not as segmented as the picture in the
> book - for it was more smooth.

Patrick,

If you still have the beastie, I have found that the local agricultural
extension offices of the state college or university are very helpful
identifying those vile critters.

I keep a couple of small jars and a bottle of alcohol on hand to capture and
perserve the bugs. Some of the local nurseries participate in a program with
the local Ext Office as drop off locations. The Ag person will stop by and
pick up the bottle and then contact you.

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Visit my website at:
http://members.home.net/jijones

President, Westbay Iris Society
Director, Region 14 of the AIS
AIS Special Committee for Electronic Member Services

Subscribe to iris-talk at:
http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/iris-talk

Subscribe to iris-photos at:
http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/iris-photos