Re: TB:Symposium Ballot

From: Irisborer@aol.com

In a message dated 11/16/1999 11:48:55 AM Eastern Standard Time,
carrylm@bigsky.net writes:

<< Queen in Calico--what a color!! and the color pattern is interesting--one
of
 our top sellers every year at our sale--blooms prolifically >>

Interesting that Carryl lists several irises on HER list that are almost
impossible here - although we share similar winter weather (the climate that
gets the bad press).

KILT LILT - is a famous 'challenge' of an iris, with lots of folks frustrated
who try to keep a Dykes bed going

FANCY WOMAN - I have good luck with this one, but it's also got a rep as
being tricky

QUEEN IN CALICO - an iris that I would love to grow - but it flat out refuses
to get comfortable in the Guest gardens.  In fact, lots of the fancy plics
are tempermental for me.

So I wonder if the common denominator is moisture.....  Colorado is pretty
dry, I believe while we are pretty moist - year round.  Interesting that we
can use these lists to draw conclusions about why we've triumphed or not with
this iris or that.

And, FWIW - we had a drought this year on the east coast....  and my irises
have never looked better!  Going into winter my foliage was still absolutely
pristine and healthy - no sign of leaf spot or any of the other things that
give irises a bad name.

Kathy Guest in East Aurora, NY
Z6