RE: OT: complaints by Carol Boltz...

  • To: <iris-talk@onelist.com>
  • Subject: RE: OT: complaints by Carol Boltz...
  • From: "Chris Hollinshead" <cris@netcom.ca>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 08:34:19 -0500

I feel compelled respond on the list to this message that was posted to the list due to the inaccurate comments and aspersions cast in the comments below by Carol Boltz. Normally this should be dealt with off list but in light of the fact that the complaint was published for all I will respond so that all may see what is said.
1. Carol, your original e-mail sure looked like a clear demand to be removed from the list by someone else other than yourself. Why else would you even send a message like this to the list? I cannot think of any other reason...
2. The list functions as a virtual community and as such there are a very few rules of etiquette to be followed so that the community functions smoothly. These are in no way excessive, in fact rather minimal. The iris list is composed of approx 400 souls at his point and for the most part functions as a very friendly and receptive group. Many of the members know each other personally outside of the list and likewise many only know the others from their virtual prescence here. Regardless, ideas, concepts, current iris events and all sorts of information is shared and discussed openly here. As far as I know there is no such "attitude of superiority" projected here and I have been a member of the list since its inception as the iris-list and now as iris-talk. Imparting of information on irises or e-mail list etiquette is not to be construed as condescending or anything else but informative and functional. Those that can absorb the information and experiences are intellectually and socially richer, those that cannot are definitely poorer.

Christopher Hollinshead
Mississauga, Ontario  Canada  zone6b
AIS(Region 16), CIS, SSI
Director-Canadian Iris Society
Newsletter Editor-Canadian Iris Society
E-mail:  cris@netcom.ca
CIS website:  http://www.netcom.ca/~cris/CIS.html
Siberian-Species Convention 2003 website: