Re: SIB:ORVILLE FAY - history

From: Ellen Gallagher <e_galla@moose.ncia.net>

	Dan Mason wrote:

>ORVILLE FAY contains some pinkish lavender coloring, but overall
>the effect is bluish.

	'Orville Fay' is blue - McEwen registered it as being a blue
	self (RHS 93C) with vein (93B) styles (101C) at center and
	(93D) at edges. It won the Morgan Award in 1976.

> It has larger flowers than my other Sibs,
>but overall it's color is bluish, but lighter shades of blue than
>the picture I saw of SHIRLEY POPE.

	'Shirley Pope' is registered as a red-purple (but looks
	bluish-purple to me).

	'Orville Fay' has a history in Siberian hybridizing. Currier
	McEwen who started hybridizing daylilies in the 1950's and
	the daylily hybridizer Orville Fay showed him some daylily
	seedlings he had treated with colchicine and explained his
	method of using the drug to achieve tetraploid seedlings.
	I am almost quoting verbatim from Currier's book 'The
	Siberian Iris', p.14. The story continues but the upshot
	was that 'Orville Fay' and 'Fourfold White' were the first
	tetraploid siberian irises to be registered and introduced.

	'Orville Fay' does indeed have larger flowers than most
	Siberians which tend to still be diploids. Some diploid
	Siberians, notably 'Indy', do have larger flowers.

	Dr. McEwen has far and away introduced the most Tet. SIBS
	but others have as well. 'Jewelled Crown' is a Tet. introduced
	by Bob Hollingworth and is a winner of the Morgan-Wood Medal.

	Ellen (who loves to talk Siberians...yada, yada, yada)

Ellen Gallagher    /     e_galla@ncia.net
Northern New Hampshire, USA   /   Zone  3
Berlin, NH    in   'The Great North Woods'
Sunset Zone 44    /  http://www.ncia.net/
To subscribe to Siberian iris e-mail robin:

To view the Siberian iris archives:

Society for Siberian Irises web page: