Re: CULT: About the List Survey

From: IRISROT@aol.com

In a message dated 11/17/1999 2:45:35 PM Central Standard Time,
HIPSource@aol.com writes:

> For the last couple of days we have been conducting an informal survey. We
>  have been sharing lists of a couple of dozen irises of any age and kind
> which
>  have proven to be exceptionally satisfying plants in our gardens. Quite a
> few
>  people have contributed from diverse regions, and I believe we have
>  some interesting things. Some folks post only a few names, some many. Each
>  list is valuable in itself, and as part of the larger picture.
>  It could be said that this is a broad-based grass-roots documention of
>  garden irises at the end of the first full century of hybridizing. It
>  unquestionably is the voice of experience, telling it like it is. The more
> we
>  people we hear from, the more we know.
>  We are sure there must be irises in your garden which you consider to be
>  superior garden plants. We hope you will take a few minutes to share a
>  of them, along with some brief remarks on your growing conditions.
>  Anner Whitehead
>  HIPSource@aol.com
Hi Anner,

I'm located in the midwest with the up & down temps in the winter. This is
very hard on iris especially those acquired from California since at the
first warmup we get they want to start growing so therefore we have to mulch
these to try and keep them dormant. My garden is located on a hillside I have
made beds with railroad ties, landscape timbers and now using the new
landscape blocks.

iris that do well for me are as follows:
TB's: Abbey Road, Acoma, Boogie Woogie, Jurassic Park, Joyce Terry, Dusky
America's Cup, Tabasco, Lion's Share, Stairway To Heaven, Alice Goodman,
Fringe Benefits, Oktoberfest, Pink Quartz, April In Paris, Wabash, Orange
Slices, & Violet Dawson.

BB's: Cranapple and Little Mary Sunshine

IB's: Rare Edition, Levity, Ask Alma, Maui Moonlight, Dark Waters, Prince Of
Burgundy, Country Dance, Slam Dunk and Let's Elope
Constant Companion as an IB RE

SDB's: Lilac And Lavender, Pele, Jewel Baby RE, Golden Ruby, Mary's Lamb,
Quicken, Pumpin Iron, Wake Up, Smart, Serenity Prayer, Priviledged Character,
Gemstar, Orange Tiger, Toon Town, Dot Com, Yellow Girl, Tarheel Elf, Quote,
Plum Ripples, Wildcat Pajama's and Cubby Cheeks.

MTB's: I'm not going to mention names here because all have done well for me.
They all bloom consistantly year after year.

                Jim Loveland, Fenton, Mo Zone 5