OT: Compost cola

From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>

>Here a local Master Gardeners web page      www.jerrybaker.com
>He gives a formula of cola + baby shampoo + ammonia for compost
>He is on TV and radio and has several books.

I know from personal experience that this latter qualification is no
assurance whatsoever!  As Michael pointed out, the only reason this
concoction might work is that the ammonia might add some nitrogen.  But
ammonia is the most volatile form of nitrogen and would rather quickly
evaporate--as anyone who has used it to clean windows can attest.

I would repeat that "supplements" are uneccessary in making compost unless
you suspect there may be too little nitrogen.  The cheap, easy and
effective solution is a handful or two of lawn fertilizer.  Even so this is
for the impatient--anything will break down enough for use in a year even
if you just heap it up and leave it.  Screen for larger fragments which are
returned to the pile for further processing.

Enough already on Coke.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College