Re: HYB: Planning Crosses

From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>

>So why do it now?  Not to win awards, obviously.  But sometimes it's fun to
>explore areas like this and it would certainly be possible to produce a
>novelty worthy of introduction.
>
>It's an ideal project for the hobbiest, or anyone who doesn't want to
>embark on a program that involves line breeding.  With this type of cross,
>either you get what you want in the first generation or you don't.
>
>If this sounds like an interesting project and you have questions and the
>details of how to proceed, please write to me off-list.
>
>Sharon McAllister
>73372.1745@compuserve.com

Sharon, this season I made two such crosses that I'm very excited about:
  (15 seeds) GIDEON VICTORIOUS (a vibrant red TB) x SATAN'S MISTRESS
  (6 seeds) SATAN'S MISTRESS x BEFORE THE STORM

I made other similar crosses, but don't know what to expect:
  (45 seeds) ALIEN MIST ('99 pale blue TB space ager) x SATAN'S MISTRESS
  (11 seeds) GREEN EYED SHEBA x JADE STONE (an SDB)
  (19 seeds) GREEN EYED SHEBA x URIAH THE HITTITE (reblooming TB)

I had 6 successful crosses between quarterbreds and halfbreds.  Do you have
any comments about the comparative difficulty of achieving success with 1/4
& 1/2 versus 1/4 & TB. ??

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com
http://www.badbear.com/dkramb/home.html