Re: CULT: Iris Borer

I sure will!!!  This was very scary for me as I am sure you can understand.  I invested a lot of money this year on irises (Starship Enterprise is planted just six feet away) and I do not wish to loose any of them.  I have always been organic in that garden with the exception of using diazinon once two years ago to wipe out a slew of black widdow spiders that hatched in the seven foot long tomato plants.  So, it is quite possible I have a cutworm. Thanks!
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 1999 8:30 AM
Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: Iris Borer

Patrick, it sounds like a cutworm to me. They are related to iris borers and
meet your description. I can tell you from first hand experience that they
will indeed attack a fan at the ground line and eat through, or try to. I
cannot confirm that they will eat into the rhizome since I've only had a few
and I found them while they were still noshing above ground. I don't seem to
have a lot naturally. They have without exception shown up on an iris that
was planted within the past couple of months and was received from another

Get the ag guys to look at it. And please let us know what you find out.

Anner Whitehead

Click Here