Re: OT: Compost cola

From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>

Bill Shear wrote:

> I would repeat that "supplements" are uneccessary in making compost unless
> you suspect there may be too little nitrogen.  The cheap, easy and
> effective solution is a handful or two of lawn fertilizer.  Even so this is
> for the impatient--anything will break down enough for use in a year even
> if you just heap it up and leave it.  Screen for larger fragments which are
> returned to the pile for further processing.

At the risk of inadvertantly adding to the undocumented lore of compost piles,
I was under the impression that it needs moisture to really get cooking.

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Visit my website at:
http://members.home.net/jijones

President, Westbay Iris Society
Director, Region 14 of the AIS
AIS Special Committee for Electronic Member Services

Subscribe to iris-talk at:
http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/iris-talk

Subscribe to iris-photos at:
http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/iris-photos