CULT: favorite of yore

From: Irisborer@aol.com

I love these lists!  Reading every single one and taking little forays down
Memory Lane when somebody mentions this iris or that one that I've grown in
the past.  And, of course, I'm seeing lots of irises that could have been on
my own list of favorites... if I had only thought of it.

And this exercise reminds me of my first "good" iris and the first show I
participated in.  I had been shamed into attending an iris banquet by my
friend, Jim Burke, where the Willotts were the speakers.  Most of the slide
show was spent in utter confusion but I was fortunate in taking home a door
prize, LANDERWOOD.  At the time, this was a new introduction of the Willotts
and I could not have been more pleased.

The next year, LANDERWOOD bloomed - and I was flat out fascinated.  The same
guy, Jim Burke, insisted I had to show it - so I did.  My one little iris and
I got a red ribbon.

I thought I had been knighted.  Jim knows how to fan the flames and by the
time the show was over, I felt like I had won the Nobel Peace Prize and that
I actually had something to do with it.  I flew home....  pinned the ribbon
to my back porch where I could see it - and started digging.

By the time Sweet Lenny got home from work, I had dug a hole deep enough to
dangle my legs into (intention was to double-dig, add this and that and grow
generations of award-winning irises).

Lenny took one look at me.... one look at the ribbon I waved at him and
summed it up this way:

"uh oh - this is going to cost me PLENTY".

He wasn't wrong.

I don't have LANDERWOOD anymore, although I grew it for years.  It's a
butterscotch SDB with a strong 'iris' fragrance.  Irises may come and go -
but one will always be special to me.

in East Aurora, NY