Re: OT: Compost cola

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 11/18/99 1:10:55 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jijones@ix.netcom.com writes:

<<  At the risk of inadvertantly adding to the undocumented lore of compost
 I was under the impression that it needs moisture to really get cooking. >>

It does, if one is talking about "hot compost," and it also needs adequate
mass, which is where a lot of folks folks fall short. Twenty cubic feet is
what I've been tought.

"Cool' or passive compost is simply a matter of letting nature to take its
course. Stuff is piled up and allowed to break down in the elements, which
takes longer and, since the pile probably won't heat up, cannot be guaranteed
to kill pathogens, eggs, whatever. I'm thinking about doing some of that with
some leaves this year. Normally I would not touch urban street tree leaves in
mass since they are so contaminated with fumes and exhaust and so forth which
I'm not interested in intensifying in this yard if I can help it, but this
year we had a very great amount of rain late and I don't think they are too

Anner Whitehead