Re: HYB: Progress

From: "Mike Sutton" <suttons@lightspeed.net>

Well it depends on what you consider progress.  There are many cultivars
from this decade that are definitely an "improvement" in size, form,
features and color.  Wider, larger falls with more ruffling and lace.
Really interesting color combos and patterns.  Greater substance with longer
lasting flowers.  If you take any flower from the 50's or 60's and put it
next to, say, YAQUINA BLUE you will see the huge difference in size, width
and form.  But of course it does come down to what you personally like in a
flower and, once again, what you think is progress.  Look at MIDNIGHT OIL
and compare it to previous blacks.  Take a look at STARSHIP ENTERPRISE and
compare it's color.  Think about the vigor of STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN or INNOCENT
STAR with 17 increases on one rhizome.  Take into consideration FANCY WOMAN,
FANCY DRESS, MIND READER and SPIRIT WORLD, luminatas.  Remember all of the
ISN'T THIS SOMETHING, etc.  I won't even go into space agers or rebloomers.
Walking through our seedling beds right now we probably have over 100 brand
new rebloomers (blooming right now)that have all been re-selected because of
various "improvements" in color or form.  There are also many reblooming
space agers and I have a stalk on a color broken space ager.  It is always
easy to say the "good old days" or "I remember when"  and by doing so
completely ignore the advancements, improvements and the "good old days"
that exist now.
History and historical iris are of great importance and to lose our
perspective of either one would be a travesty.  It is important, however, to
not let the "misty eye of memory" blur the clear and present today.
Tossing in a few cents, expecting some flak and firmly believing that huge
"progress" has been and is being made in the TB iris world.