re: Hem-List

From: Chad Schroter <Chad.Schroter@quantum.com>

	I read the hem-list , but I think I missed that post, however I have
seen many similar ones. The list owner - Joe Halinar - is a very
knowledgeable and opinionated professional grower. His concerns are that the
Daylily breeders are concentrated in the South (Florida) and are no longer
concerned with growability in the rest of the country. Breeders outside the
Florida area are at a competitive disadvantage due to the shorter turnaround
time for seed-to-flower in the Florida region. In his opinion he fears the
Daylily may become as susceptible to disease as the 'overbred' bearded Iris,
since the breeders will only be aware of growing problems in their region.
His main complaint about Bearded Iris is the appearance of the foliage, as a
resident of Oregon he sees rampant Leaf Spot at all the Major growers. As to
whether there has been improvement in the Flower - that is a matter of
taste, but it certainly HAS changed significantly over time and this is not
usually in question, even among the daylily folks.

	My own opinion is that there are bad Iris just as there are bad
daylily's, and it should be OK to say this. It is also a much different
proposition to grow a whole field of a single type of plant versus the
typical garden setting. Plants grown in a monoculture are more susceptible
to diseases, I have often seen Leaf spot on a particular Iris at a Major
grower, yet not on the same variety in my own garden ( and no I don't
spray).

	A final note, I have interpreted the comments regarding Iris not so
much as a jab at the Iris world, but as a wakeup call for the Daylily
people.

	Chad Schroter
	Los Gatos CA Zone 9

and now it's time to wiz on the compost pile ....