TB: Old vs New

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

Hi all,
My first two potted TB's this year were I. germanica and AURA LIGHT.
I was feeling TB deprived at the time, so I put the two pots right outside
the back door where I and everyone else could see them. What an amazing
contrast of everything (except height) even the petal numbers differed, AL
having 4 of everything. The funny thing is, they really looked wonderful
blooming side by side, and it was impossible to say which one I prefered.
Many garden visitors felt exactly the same.
I think the main difference between what an iris breeder sees, and what a
hem. breeder sees is familiarity with the favoured plant. When I look at my
hems, I see very little difference, and wonder what would induce anyone to
bother hybridising them. Perhaps this hem breeder thinks the same way about
irises. Perhaps 'selective blindness' makes it impossible to see the
differences between the older 'tried and true' irises, and the wonderful
advances in form, size, balance, colour variations, bud count, etc. in the
best of the more recent intro's.
It is generally only the best of the oldies that we see, so they should only
be compared to the best of the newer varieties. Maybe he's comparing good
oldies, to run-of-the-mill newies?

Just my 2c worth, Jan clark