Re: PCNs & Arils in NM

From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>

>Lu & I are both fascinated by the diversity of the aril species and
>committed to maintaining a comprehensive gene pool.  The hybrid vigor that
>can be produced by crossing a mountain species with one that's native to
>the southern deserts is nothing short of amazing.  That's where good
>breeders and, ultimately, gardenable hybrids come from.

Do you grow any of the non-onco and non-regelia species?  I forget their
classifications off the top of my head......somethng like pseudoregelia,
psammirises, and I know there's a 3rd group too.

I occasionally see seeds from those 3 "minor" aril groups offered by
rare/exotic/alpine seed catalogs, but never order it because (#1) I fear
it's mislabelled, and (#2) they're probably too difficult in my climate.

But I often thought it would be exciting to get arilbreds with this "other"
aril blood.

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com
http://www.badbear.com/dkramb/home.html