Re: HYB: 1/4 X TB Crosses

From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>

>I've found, however, that growing conditions make an enormous difference.
>I've had very little success in getting seeds from crosses of 1/4-breds
>with TBs -- but that's the case with ANY cross involving TBs, whether the
>other parent is aril, near-aril, 1/2-bred, 1/4-bred, or TB.  OTOH, 1/4-bred
>x 1/2-bred crosses have produced many wondrous things.  Other hybridizers,
>working in different climates, probably have considerably greater success
>with 1/4-bred x TB crosses.

My climate seems pretty good for getting crosses both ways (using 1/4-bred
with TBs or 1/2-breds).  Next year I expect my first 3/4-breds to bloom.
I'll let you know how they do.

>If you want to push the envelope and try for the type of cross-over that
>can result in a fully fertile TB with some aril genes and aril
>characteristics -- concentrate on the 1/4-bred x TB cross.  The odds are
>against you, but if you should achieve such a breakthrough you will have
>opened up a "whole, new world".

Well, to tell the truth when I made a lot of my crosses this year, I didn't
pay much attention to what was arilbred and what wasn't.  I was just
crossing any old thing just to learn the "process" of hybridizing.

I am interested primarily in getting reblooming & SA arilbreds.  I also
want to get more halfbreds that don't fall over!  This has been a problem
for me with our spring thunderstorms.

I also love I. paradoxa, and would looooooooooove to get some Space Ager
halfbreds with I. paradoxa as a parent.  Imagine the bizarre offspring!

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com