From: "Ian E. & Shirley Efford" <avocet.intl@sympatico.ca>

A year ago, I was walking in Majella Larochelle's nursery - SEPI, really
a series of small clearings in marshy conifer forest just north of
Ottawa on the Quebec side of the river.  I saw an iris flowering and I
assumed it to be wild - the common local iris I. versicolor [probably
only wild iris in this area although Tony Huber now thinks that I.
virginica shrevei inhabits the edges of the Ottawa River throughout its
length and Majella's place is just near the river].  Close inspection
showed that it was I. douglasiana!! Majella gave me a piece but it died
on transplanting - not unexpected as it was in full flower.

This is zone 4B and he probably has quite a lot of snow cover in the
woods around his place. It is obviously quite hardy.  I might note that
he specializes in growing very difficult rock and alpine plants and can
grow ones that others find very difficult.  In this case, he seems to
have done little to establish the plant as it appeared abandoned it in
the woods.  On the other hand, Majella sometimes seems abandoned in the

Some of you may know Majella from a different life as he ran a nursery
in the Carolinas for some years.