HYB: Arilbreds

From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>

Message text written by Dennis Kramb:

I also love I. paradoxa, and would looooooooooove to get some Space Ager
halfbreds with I. paradoxa as a parent.  Imagine the bizarre offspring!

Few paradoxa-derived arilbreds have been introduced.

LADY LILFORD [I. paradoxa X I. pallida] was later counted as a true
amphidiploid, but it was introduced before the iris world learned of ploidy
and chromosome conjugation --  long before C.G. White broke the fertility
barrier -- and thus used very little in hybridizing.  I've often wondered
what would have happened if someone had crossed IB-MAC onto LADY LILFORD in
those early days....

PAR-PALL has the same pedigree, but I don't recall whether it was ever

DON RICARDO came from PAR-PALL X IB-MAC.  Very interesting breeder in that
each of its grandparents was a different species.  Again, I don't recall
seeing a chromosome count -- but it was introduced after the spree of
breakthrough breeders that were counted.  I've experimented with it enough
to strongly suspect that it is amphidiploid.

Gene Hunt  used it to produce DORCAS, which is probably the most widely
available modern cultivar with significant paradoxa content.

DORCAS has certainly produced some interesting halfbreds, but I've never
tried her with TBs.  Could be quite an adventure.

Sharon McAllister